Subject: Flyer
From: "Ron " <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 16:59:15 CST

Just thought some of you on the list might have some ideas about the 
Flyer.  Is it just me, or does the lack of timecode in/out seem like 
a real drawback on the Flyer.  I understand that the quality is 
designed to be broadcast quality, however from the viewpoint of an 
editor the lack of timecode in/out has some definate drawbacks. I do 
a lot of editing of hour long format shows and the drive space needed 
to hold that at D2 quality is substantial.  Most of my clients want 
to digitize much more than an hour of material for a 1 hour show.  
With documentaries, they may want to load many hours to 
pick/experiment with.  If you could digitize at low rez to make your 
editing decisions, then go back and grab just the program material at 
high rez, you could get by with a resonable (though expensive) disk 
array of some kind.  But the lack of timecode in/out precludes this 
by design.  Also, even in an ideal world, I will need to occasionally 
go to another facility for some new bell or whistle.  How will I 
reference the original footage?  Am I missing something or is the 
Flyer just aimed at the "event" market, where the Toaster is more 
than enough?  While I'm at it, how does the Flyer handle slo-mo and 
audio.  I've heard that audio may be handled by a Sunrize interface.  
All in all, when you start adding it up, the $5,000 price tag keeps 
inching up quickly and you arrive at a price that is considerably 
more than $5000.  Mind you, I'm not complaining, just trying to get 
some reasonable figure in my head as to what it will Really cost to 
go with the Flyer.  
I know this is a Lightwave list, but I'm not on the Toaster list.  If 
anyone else is, please forward this message and tell them to e-mail 
me if they have any ideas.  Again, forgive me for burdening this list 
with a non-lightwave subject, but the folk on this list seem to know 
more about what's going on with NewTek than anyone I talk to in 
person.  Thanks in advance for any info.
==================================================================*
* Ron Huebner                         Internet:[email-masked]*  
* Center for Instructional Services                               *
* University of North Texas, Denton, Texas                        *
* LOUD PIPES save Lives!                                          *
==================================================================*